Transport for NSW Mobile Rego Inspections


Thank you for contacting us. In business hours we try to reply in 10 minutes. Or by 7.45am the next business day if sent after hours.

How to register a car in NSW

Whether it’s for a new or second-hand car, you must register your vehicle with the government before you can drive it. You can do so at a Service NSW centre.

If you need to register a car in NSW, here are some things to know:

✓ You will need to have the vehicle’s plate number or its billing number
✓ You must get a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance policy
✓ Most light vehicles over 5 years old require an eSafety (or, ‘pink slip’) check
✓ Typically, you can pay for either a 6- or 12-month period of registration.
✓ If you need to renew your rego, Service NSW will send you a renewal notice with the key details
✓ In most cases, you can renew your rego online.

Transferring car registration in NSW if you’re buying

When you get a new car, you need to register it under your name within 14 days, otherwise, you’ll receive a late transfer fee. There are two ways to transfer the car into your name:

If the previous owner has submitted a Notice of Disposal, then you should be able to register the car in your name online.
If the previous owner doesn’t submit the Notice of Disposal within 14 days, you can register the vehicle at a service centre and avoid the late transfer fee.


When you register the vehicle, the vehicle’s Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurance will automatically transfer over to you. So, you shouldn’t have to do anything else until the vehicle’s registration is due for renewal.Keep in mind, that CTP won’t cover you for damage to your vehicle or damage to other people’s vehicles or property. For these things, you’ll want comprehensive insurance or third-party cover.


Transferring NSW car registration if you’re selling

When you sell or give your car away, it’s the new owner’s responsibility to register the vehicle in their name. However, you will need to let Transport for NSW know as soon as you are no longer the owner. You can do this by lodging a Notice of Disposal, which can be done in the following ways:

  1. Online – Lodge a Notice of Disposal online.
  2. In-person – Lodge a Notice of Disposal in person at a NSW Service Centre.
  3. By post – Lodge a Notice of Disposal by filling in the form and posting it to: Transport for NSW, PO Box 21, Parkes, NSW 2870.

You also need to provide proof that the new owner is entitled to register the car. Proof of registration entitlement can include:

  • A Certificate of Registration, a renewal notice or other registration (NSW, interstate or overseas)
  • A motor dealer warranty form
  • Proof of purchase. This can be a letter, bill of sale, receipt, or tax invoice.


Interstate car registration for NSW

If you’ve moved to NSW and plan to stay longer than 90 days, you will need to register your car in the state. Here are the steps to follow:

Once you’ve purchased CTP insurance and received your safety inspection, you’ll need to visit a service centre in NSW to register your car. You will need the following:

  • An Application for Registration form
  • Proof of identity – either a NSW driver’s licence or two other forms of identity, e.g. a passport and a Medicare card
  • Your CTP insurance details
  • Proof of registration entitlement
  • Up-to-date inspection reports and certifications
  • Number plates from the state you came from
  • Card or cash for the registration fee payments.

Pink Slip Today can come to you for any vehicle service, repair, and inspection needs. Send an SMS or Call us for a free quote!